History of Linton Pet Shop 

Linton Pet Shop (known locally as Linton's) has it's roots back to the 1950's.

The Linton Mill at Wintringham, near Malton had existed since the 19th century as a corn mill. They developed an animal feed distribution network well before 1950. At that time they had 'Market Office' situated in the lowest part of what is now Hopper's newsagents at 48 Market Place. It was next to J Andersons Sports shop which is now situated in Saville Street.
In the 1950's the proprietors of Linton Mill, the Late Norman Jefferson and The Late Edith Weighell, decided to develop the market office into a retail as well as a farm feed business. Linton Animal Foods was born. The shop they opened was in the market place in part of what is now Hoppers, next to J Anderson & Son, who are now at the bottom of Saville Street.

The business traded into the mid 1970's expanding into the pet shop trade. The property became too small and the Malton Estate Company (the landlord) wanted the property to make a bigger unit. Mr Jefferson and Miss Weighell were offered the property at 59/61 Market Place (where we are today). The building was derelict.

After a lot of heart searching and with a financial input from his accountants, Croudsons (now Townsend Harrison), Norman built a warehouse over what was the back yard and converted the upstairs to offices. That was in 1977!

Norman and his wife Pat then ran the business until Norman's death in 1997. The business was taken over by Denys (who was principal of the Chartered Accountant Townsend & Co. in the offices above the shop) and his wife April.

Ten years on we are proud of the changes made to the shop (and the change of name to Linton Pet Shop) and are confident that the principles of good service will continue with pleasant, helpful and knowledgeable staff.

Denys Townsend
1 October 2007
With thanks for contributions and photo's from Mrs P Jefferson.